Wednesday, August 09, 2006

iron west

Amazon, via the USPS, delivered my copy of Doug TenNapel's Iron West this afternoon. Now, I'm a fan of his work dating back to Earthworm Jim. I deeply love Creature Tech, and so I was stoked to get his newest work.

I was not disappointed. Iron West reads like the best evah episode of The Adventures of Briscoe County, Jr. A story that combines aliens, robots, Native American spirituality, and Sasquatch. A hero who even looks a little like Bruce Campbell. The requisite fallen lady with a heart of gold. TenNapel is one of those storytellers who weaves together disparate elements in a way that makes them seem not only compatible, not only natural, but inevitable. It's one of the coolest things I've read since Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead, a zombie saga that combines and outdoes both Dawn of the Dead and Land of the Dead.

No comments: